Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Soda Set UP

It looks like this did not get posted.. this was right before the soda firing...

__________________________________________________

Well we set up some committee's at the community studio.  Only a few of us actually work from home or can work from home. So people are dependent on the studio running smoothly.  Further, we all are aiming to making this a community.

I am in charge of the Glaze & Material's committee and I am on the Kiln & Firing committee.
Part of what we are doing is sharing our personal resources.  One example, tomorrow. I own the Soda Kiln.  Me and my partner did the classes and the work to repurpose the old electric. But.. it is a community firing.  If you are a member, then you can have work fired.

We are firing to ^6. There is a lot of work compared to an electric firing.
I got the tanks refilled.  I have three, we will likely only use two worth but it allows me to swap out when the propane freezes.  Total cost to top off the tanks, $31. So not bad at all (they were $40 a piece to get them originally..)

I made wadding, and got it all rolled.
I collected all the pieces set aside for the firing that were not mine.
I weighted the 3# of baking soda for the firing
I cleaned the shelves (carbide shelves are great!!)
I kiln washed the shelves.

Tomorrow I will spray and ash the work
load the kiln and use the wadding
and start the firing...

We are going to reduce heavy and early


__________________

I invited folks to come tomorrow, not sure who will actually attend. We are doing a reclaim day and so will try to reclaim as much clay as we can in the given time.
Folks already broke up dried clay into small pieces
I have everything slaking now with some yogurt, which will speed up the souring of the clay so we can increase plasticity making it better for throwing.
Tomorrow we will use the pug mill and see how much we can get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment