Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Adventures in Deadlines...

As is typical... deadlines make it all feel the more stressful when things don't work out.  So that is my wedding ring you see on the plate for size reference.  This is the crack all the way through. The giant platter I was so proud of....


Here is the mad dash to bisque the whole dinner set.  the way we are firing now with electric is aiming to reduce cost. So we fire at night, and on slow.  that means a 12-14 hour fire and a 12 hour cooling... so a bit over 24 hours turn around.  So time is of the essence.  At this point I thought I would be able to make the missing pieces and bisque them separate and glaze but I did the math, no way it will dry in time to fire and come out before Easter.


We don't rush.. because I am clumsy at the best of times.. so I broke this....


I tried to make a bowl replacement and well... decided I was done. To much stress with all the other money issues I have in life.


But I made the glaze. This honey glaze (already listed) and the blue chun are done. So there is that.


Jump forward to today!!  the bisque is done and unloaded.


I had two plates that shit out the bottom... not sure how that happened. This is a new problem to me.  Bleh... so now two more plate deaths.  My dinner set is getting more and more holes in it...



But why stop there?!  Yes we have cracks during firing... on the edge of the bowl. The small bowl had a chip in the lip as well. Not sure how that happened.


Can't really fix any of this at all at this point. I will just have to make the missing pieces and fire on another round of firings. So here is the glaze, a good mix.  It is feeling nice. I hope this fires as advertised!!


Dinnerware set is all glazed. Even with the missing pots I almost totally filled the glaze kiln!


Started with the firing. Given the 12 hours (or more) to fire I don't feel bad starting in the afternoon. So tomorrow late afternoon I can unload. But then I have to instantly load and fire another glaze load for all my pots that are not the dinnerware set... I have to get those out as well....


Almost easter.....

No comments:

Post a Comment