Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Kind of Trapped...

So I am working today... not able to get into the studio.
AND they are doing crazy cleaning so they can paint... so I would not be able to do much anyway.
I had  run of several days where I could work and deal with pots.. but my real life has come back into play.  So getting to work back to back days is about over.

Now that is what it is, but I have to say.. it is a lot easier to knock stuff out and deal with drying when I can work multiple days in a row.  More efficient, and it keeps the momentum going.  I have lots I need to get done here within the next few days so I can get firing going  If need be I can wake up real early and get some of this work done, including loading kilns.  And I can set it to start the firing when I get home from work. This will allow the firing to occur at night for lower rates.  Given all the flat ware... this is going to take two glaze firings and I hope there are smaller items from others to fill in the gaps.

So what needs to get done:
The dinner set is still drying. I have done all the trimming.  Now I do believe I need to make three more plates, I no longer want to use the original three that I created to test out the design.  I will take those (they are bisqued already) and test out some glazes to see how well the slip work shows.  Ideally?  I would test out the new Chun Blue (see below), Rutile Green, and Fuzzy White.

I need to get all the dinner set bisqued!
I need to make the honey glaze for the dinner set.  I finally found a ^6 glaze that really looks like it mimic's the earthenware lead honey glaze

Glossy Honey ^6
(this does not total 100, I know. But it works)
----------------
Spodumene            30
Flint                       20
Gerstley Borate     14
Talc                        13
Dolomite                  7
EPK                          5
Rutile                       5


I would like to try out the new Chun Blue, my second attempt. I think this formulation will get me what I want. FYI Soda Feldspar or NC-4 Feldspar or Minspar 200 will work, or so I am told. So....

Chun Blue #2
----------------------
Soda Feldspar       38
Zinc Oxide           12
Whiting                 14
Ball Clay                  6
Silica                     30
----------------------------
total =                   100
                                  0.25% Copper Carbonate

I keep debating if I want to make mugs to go with this set... but I really like the small cups I made for the tea set. 12oz with no foot created a cup that is about 3"x3" and it hold the same "one cup" that the coffee pot references (like when it says it holds 12 cups).  This is, if you didn't know, a literal "cup" as  form of measurement (8oz).  I mention this simply because I have had this discussion with friends who don't get the reference is a measured cup and not the mug they like to drink out of.

I need to make mugs for office in springs.  I am looking at a full 1# per mug. I will extrude a handle and then alter it by pulling it.  I will center the ends of the handle to mark out the middle 2/4 (i.e. 1/4 above it and 1/4 below it).

My aunt bought a bowl of mine, I need to glaze it and get it fired and shipped out.

I did get a seal made. Actually I ordered it made as a rubber stamp. 

So all of this got me to thinking about how I process and come up with ideas about what to make. I like functional ware.  I look at pieces I like and do pictures with my iPhone. I have as the gallery on my ipad only pottery ideas. I pull from instagram and where ever else I see it on the internet. And of course there are specific people I watch on youtube, many of which are doing functional work as well.  But there are some books I keep coming back to based on the wealth of pictures as well as the discussion of functional pots.

So here are my books, if any of you are potters out there.





No comments:

Post a Comment