Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

My 4 Hours Today...

So I used to measure, when doing classes, how much I could throw in a class period.  that was quite a while ago, and I can get a lot more done in a few hours. So here are my four hours today.

So it starts will making some more clay.  I used up all of what I took over when I made the plates and even took some of Jessie's so I could make a total of 6, so I would have 9 plates in that series.  I got the clay started, then ran to the store to get dog food while it mixed.  Then I pugged, in all I took about 30# this time.



I pulled out my slip. I store it open because I use it for a variety of things. It is thick, but I add water to get the consistency I want.  If I need it very liquid, I would take only part of it out to do this.  It allows it to be flexible.  In this case you can see the brush, I made the Iron Oxide slip (which is very dark in this case) as thick as house paint, the white I made as thick as regular yogurt.


Here are the six plates I made the day before.  I cut them off the bat as they were dryer now.  I often cut things off when I make them and small things I often take right off the bat after throwing.  Plates are tricky. I let them dry before I cut them off, let them dry some more until the lip can support the plate and then I flip them to finish drying. 


This should look rather familiar, this is how I decorated three other plates when I was testing out this design idea.


Here is the companion salad bowls.  You can see size based on the wheel head.



Here for comparison is the large Salad Bowls, a small serving dish (think blue cheese), and a large serving bowl.


And here they are decorated in similar fashion.



As are the rest of the bowls.


So everything needs to dry.  Given the added moisture of the slip, I did not cut off the bowls but will do so tomorrow. Everything is being dried very slowly given I am doing plates.  Tomorrow I will likely remove everything from their bats, and place them on ware boards to finish drying.

Once dry enough they will bisque and then... still not sure what I am doing for glaze.  It needs to show the design, but given the background of this slip it will allow from more than just clear being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment