Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Selling of Pots...

So the important rule for measuring how important something or someone is to you is pretty simple. Where do you put your money, time and energy.  I tell clients this all the time.  It is very telling as at times we identify things of value to us that simply don't make the cut when we apply this simple test.

I have a very limited ability, as we all do, to offer up any of those three things.  It is because of it's limit that it becomes meaningful.  So one way, in recent times, that I have been able to give back to organizations I want to support is through the gifting of pottery for the purposes of silent auctions and such. Below is a piece I donated to the Southern Colorado Equality Alliance (SCEA).  You can see the statement about the pot.  I will admit (but not reproduce) that I originally sent a "long version" from which much of this is taken, that also said some things that were not appropriate for public consumption. the "short" version was simply that this pot was food and dishwasher safe.  These were taken and the one you see below was created.



In keeping with this, I have NOT donated a piece this year to another organization that works with kids. I won't name them, but some of the things they have done within the last year leads me to not support them. This brings us to another one of my life rules... you don't reinforce bad behaviors.

Below is from the pottery sale.  I was very surprised who all came, to be honest I have had little support from friends and family with anything like this at all. So this was my first sale where it was mainly me, I did so with two friends only. We did well for this kind of thing. It more than covered the fee. This isn't "pay the bills" kind of money, but we don't expect that (and frankly what we price our pots doesn't lend itself to that). But bottom line, we were all very pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment