Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

My Day, October 12, 2013

There were so many people at the Empty Bowls Open Studio day that we did not make glaze. So today I taught someone how to make glaze, and went through the basics of what makes up a glaze both material basis (specific ingredients) and the more "base" components (that are present within the materials).

We build EggShell, a typical ^6 glaze here at this gallery. You see a lot of it in my work.  Kuky had already build two other glazes we were super low on. We were going to make Clear as well today, but time went pretty quickly.



On my end, I made a very small amount of an Ash Glaze. This is a new one, and we will see if it really does fire at ^6 as advertised.  You can see below me breaking up the ash into usable sizes using a #40 mesh.


Here the other components are added and I am pushing the glaze through a #80 mesh.  I also made an Ash Pantina Spray, very similar in composition.  This I made only about a cup of for testing purposes.


I tried to load a bisque kiln today, right after I unloaded the one that was just fired. But too many wet pots. So we moved on.  I glazed some pieces of mine and then some of Jessie's.   You can see the Eggshell here with Iron Oxide designs. I did other pieces as well.


A new toy to help with glazing.



Loaded a glaze kiln and it's fired!


No comments:

Post a Comment