Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

New Goals for Firing

So... I like controlling firing and playing with slip far more than "glaze". I say that in quotes as much of the firing is better viewed as "atmospheric glaze firing", where it is the wood as or soda that creates the glaze/firing effects.  Maybe the best way to say this, I like the use of a firing where glaze and firing effects are highly intertwined allowing the firing to more strongly be a part of the decorating process rather than simply the process of setting clay and glaze to temperature.

So here are my goals:

I need only for my burners to come in the delivery and to purchase the part to transition the opening on the propane tank to the hoses I have...

Once I have these parts I can move forward and set the kiln to do a soda fire.  We have all the other parts we need. This will be a modified up draft soda kiln.

Now I need some soft fire brick, an old electric kiln and then.. well we can create a gas kiln for C&B.  So I am on the look out for this.  This, once we have the parts, is basically a day project to make it work. This is secondary, as we can do a simple reduction fire in the soda kiln with no soda. But we will do this as a down draft.

We have all we need, except the pots, to do a Ferric Firing and will do so the next First Friday as the first firing in the Raku Kiln.

I now have permission to use the manual electric kiln to do some once firing!

No comments:

Post a Comment