Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Problems all around...

So the pug mill is not up yet. We are going to need to pour some concrete so I can have it up high enough to use. The table we have in the studio is way too unstable. So in the meantime all I have to throw is a bit of old B-mix.  It is hard... I threw some anyway. 


Now that plate was the only thing I could make. Other tries were such fails I gave up. But I had a great plate.  I let it dry slowly. I then wrapped the edges to help slow this down.  Then I went to go visit the plate two days later.

Here you can see my plate, cracked. And this is not an S-Crack so it is due to drying.  Possibly made worse by the temp and humidity shifts were experienced but really I should have taken it home where I could have watched it more carefully... Dumb..



On to the last firing.  The glaze load included all of my pieces that were glazed. I waxed things so I could fire with lids on because they fit. One exception I fired with glaze on it so I could add a bit of thickness to it so i could fit better.  What you see below is a storage jar that is now sitting on my front porch.  It was glaze sealed on....


This lid was the exception. It had glaze on it in such a way that it could not fire on the jar. So when it came out there happened to be a bit of kiln wash stuck to it. I was taking it over to the roter and... dropped it... ta da look at my lid. I really like what the glaze did on this lid and the above jar... sad...


No comments:

Post a Comment