Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Glazed At Last!!












So what you see is all the pots made since the Christmas rush.  You can see them in various prior posts.  Here are some pix of the waxing process. This time I did paraffin melted in an old electric skillet.  You simply dip the pot real quick.  So much faster!!!  There is a size limit, but all the same it made this quick work.

the glaze, well almost everything has Eggshell (it looks red here).  the pots, if you recall, are varied. A few porcelain with blue on them.  Some made out of reclaim clay or laguna red. These have porcelain slip that is white, reddish or blue. All of these have some level of eggshell glaze.

The old slip trailer that was a bitch to deal with?  Used it with Blue Fur glaze to create a "splash", rather than using a spoon as I have done before. Finally there were a few pieces that did not have any slip. I did them with larger amount of Blue Fur and some Slate Blue and a slight overlay of Egg Shell.

Egg Shell is the glaze I use over the various darker colored clays and the glaze is highly effected by the clay. It creates various looks.  I use this more than any other glaze, hands down. So I was grumpy when I heard there was some discussion about phasing this glaze out of the studio.  However, given our use and our talk about it (Jesse, Maria & I) we don't think it will happen. We love this cone ^6 glaze too damn much.

No comments:

Post a Comment