Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Odd shift...

So based on a death in the family and some follow up conversations I got a new request and a renewed old request.

Below are some Canopic Jars.  


File:Egyptian - A Complete Set of Canopic Jars - Walters 41171, 41172, 41173, 41174 - Group.jpg

So I have all my death/medical related papers all put together and multiple copies hanging around with various people.  In there are instructions to cremate me.  My aunt told me that she too wants to be cremated and would like for me to make the urn.

My partner repeated his idea that he wants to be cremated and for me to make a set of canopic jars and split the ashes among them. I cannot sculpt as well as I want to at this point so I am not ready for this yet. But he wants the ashes to be placed in there prior to the glaze fire and for it to be glaze sealed.

It brings up some interesting ideas about pots, death and life.  Some mixed feelings about being asked to take on this duty.  Pots have a life of their own, or at least handmade pottery does.  It seems fitting that such an object rather than some box,placed in a huge liner (yes they marinate the body then put it in the coffin and the coffin the a metal tupperware...WTF?!) be a resting place.

No comments:

Post a Comment