Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Gearing Up for Tomorrow

So tomorrow is the Soda Firing and it is Reclaim Day!!

It is my Soda Kiln, but it is a community firing. And this time there are at least five of us in this firing.  I really am trying to get the members get that this is one of the perks of being a member, we will do various firings.

I am very excited about the test tiles, as I will be testing the typical glazes we use and see what they look like under reduction and soda.

But the prep work for a soda firing is a lot more involved than an electric firing.  This is not just me picking up the work from the studio and bringing it to the kiln.


I made and rolled wadding.  I cleaned the kiln shelves, I made kiln wash.  I then painted the shelves.
Tomorrow I will spray the work with water and dust with ash. Then load the kiln and start the firing.


 This bowl is done with Rutile inside and Malcolm Davis Shino outside. We will see what this does in ^6.





So here is some of the reclaim slaking down and getting ready for tomorrow and the pug mill.  I am not sure who all is actually coming. I hope we get enough help. This will create reclaim clay for the studio. We will sell 25# bags at $10 a bag. This will also be the clay I use.


Given the amount of clay that is broken up and slaked, I am going to need some help breaking it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment