Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Fermentation Crocks

So at last my Fermentation Crocks are fired.  Now one has an issue on the bottom (and became a second).  But my prototype actually works better than expected so I will sell that one.

Fermentation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i77hU3zR-fQ



On these you can see the "water lock" as a part of the rim. Basically this split rim will hold the lid and then you pour water as much as will fit.  This creates a seal where the water prevents the air from going in... it is air tight.  I cannot figure out where this originally came from. The traditional fermentation crocks from Europe and the from Korea and Japan have no such set up.  It may be a more modern idea.







These next two are also fermentation crocks. The first was damaged as greenware and had to be altered into a crock without a water lock.



This one is more traditional (but smaller than usual) for Kimchi.  The lid goes out a bit, this was because such crocks were often buried so this lid would prevent dirt from falling in when you removed the lid but allowed the crock to remain buried.



Also here is a random cup I made.  Thrown and then carved to give it some texture.  



Follow the FB page for announcements of Shows
https://www.facebook.com/TheThreePotters
Follow me on Instagram for ongoing pictures of my work
IG: mejia81004

No comments:

Post a Comment