Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

My Soda Fired Work

The dark clay is SB-Red from Laguna. The White is B-Mix (^6) from Laguna. We used flashing slips, white slip and orange.  We also used a set of glazes that are ^6 reduction glazes. Now this is not the best look at these glazes as the soda has interacted as well. So they might look different under reduction (no soda) and will for sure be LESS runny. Below is only my work. There will be more firing pictures and a vid link when Zeke gets that all down.

So this is a Sake or "fine liquor" set. It is make for "sipping spirits".

there you can see the outside. It is all SB-Red, white slip and an orange flashing slip. The inside is Tenmoku Gold with Cobalt added

Sadly, this is my favorite piece. But as you will see there is damage to the lip. It was fine going in, but when we pulled it it had fallen.

You can see the dark clay flashing to some degree on it's own. It is almost a salmon color and shiny is places. 

This is a bottle with a wide mouth, if I can find a cork to fit it can be a nice small storage jar.  You can see the same decoration of white slip, bare clay and orange flashing slip.

Similarly you can see the soda effects on the clay body.

Here is a look at the inside. This is Rutile Ash glaze, the lip was also dipped in this. I like this glaze and would like to try it only in ^6 reduction.

This is a small cup or bowl. Now this one shows the same problems I have experienced before. But here you can see really good orange from the flashing slip.

I like the simple foot and here you can see soda effects on bare clay.

And this should look familiar...  :-(
The glaze inside is Satin White. Now if you look close you can see GREEN! That is a chemical reaction to the soda. But you can also see a huge glop of soda... I have created this problem before. I assume this slip off the shelf. We need to not spray the shelves if we can help it.

Masks!  I haven't done this for a while. A guy and a coyote (yes it is, I know cuz I made it.). This is my only work in white.

Here there was flashing slip that you cannot see.... but the whole thing looks as if it was clear glazed?!
The lips above and cheeks below are  Tenmoku Gold with Iron, the blue is Tenmoku Gold with Cobalt.

Here you can barely see the slips...
We think that flat work needs to be tilted and not allowed to lay flat as it gets only the soda covering but no flashing... IDK.

This is a larger lidded pot. Sorry no size reference. The decorations are all done with flashing slips. The body has been effected by the soda.



Here the white slip was put on thick to create a crackle effect...

You can see the inside, this was done with Yellow Salt.. you really can't see anything


This is not a new crack, it came out of bisque this way. But as we were learning I opted to fire it.

This is a small bottle. The inside is Mint Julep, but really looks like nothing when you look inside. Almost a grey glaze. It did not like the soda.

Here you can see a better cracking with the thick white glaze, this is on point for what I wanted.


I did this body shot as I did not think the orange flashing was noticeable in the other pictures as it is subtle. Further, it is odd the white slip here, and only here, turned grey... it reminded me of crock salt pottery...

The glaze is... YUP! Tenmoku Gold with Cobalt. It ran only a little bit but I hate how fat that dragon fly is.

I really liked the effect of cutting through the white slip.


Here this lid has the white slip but thinner. I like this cracking.

Inside of this pot, Selsor Oriba. Not bad. IDK, I need to see it on white.

The inside of this is Rutile Ash, and the outside is white slip and a bit of glaze you really can't see for ignore that part.





This is one of my small pitchers. Almost mini, I use them for a cup of tea. Think of how you order a single cup of hot tea in a restaurant and they have only enough set aside for two cups. It holds your other cup.

Again this is the blue glaze inside and the lip is dipped as well.  The rest is the dark clay body.

Here is the foot, I carved this rather than trimmed it. I like the effect.


So the Rutile Ash was a nice glaze. The Tenmoku Gold with Cobalt was good too but I do wonder if a different blue glaze would be easier. Frankly I don't see any "tenmoku" look to it at all. This is true on other folks work as well....

No comments:

Post a Comment