Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Glaze, glaze... glaze

So, for the platters I did the other day I wanted to use a Chun Blue glaze. So this is one I created.

So with glazes the full large bucket is about 10.000gm of dry glaze, so this is the final weight you set.  We are tending to do 1/2 bucket for most of the glazes but after some discussion we think only the very well used glazes should be made this large.  Our standard size will be 2,500gm.

I have made several small batches to testing things and found 1,000gm is a good test size. It also gets used up with about one round of throwing.

there are advantages to making smaller batches. In a community studio, a screw up would waste less material. But, smaller batches are faster to mix up anyway.  You can also see my hand immersion blender I use for slip. With a small enough batch I can mix it with this.  You do that with hot water and... well it mixes so much better than larger batches using the standard mixer attached to the drill.

Here is the formula for this glaze.  It is #1 because there may be other versions in the future.

Here is it with hot water


Immersion blender...


And here is the pay off for this method.  I took this pick after I poured it through an 80 mesh sieve.  It basically poured through.  Very little material to break up at all.


And we have 1,000 grams (dry weight) of Mejia's Blue Chun #1



No comments:

Post a Comment