Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Chalice

Chalices, goblets or wine glasses.  There are Four basic methods with throwing them. One is throw the whole thing in one piece.
Second, there the cup part and after it has dried enough, trim it and upside down add a bit of clay and throw the stem.
Third, you can throw a cylinder and creating a small disc you can separate the cup from the stem and then continue to shape from there.
Finally, you can throw the stem and cup as separate pieces and then attach. This is what I did here.

So here you can see the cup section thrown and drying.  I played around with the form on this and stem to get a sense of what I might want to do as actually sets.


Here you have the pieces put together. You can see the slip is very very red. This is a red iron oxide slip. No worries, the whole piece will be slipped so this isn't really a "mistake."


And here, after drying to leather hard, they are slipped.  The inside and rim are left with no slip except for the one you see that is right side up. These are now drying again.. very slowly. I do slow because I do not want the stems to come right off.


This one might be my favorite in terms of form.  I am unclear on what I want to do for glaze.  I do think I will reserve at least one for the soda fire.  As for the rest.. I am not quite sure yet. Given the contrast, I can do some sgraffito.  I will deal with this later. 




No comments:

Post a Comment