Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Dusted with Ashes

So I remember when I collected ash from the fire place in Santa Fe.  Zeke saw the bag and said "what are you doing? What is that for?"  But no, it wasn't for any type of brujaria it was for POTS!

In the past I have lightly sprinkled ash on a few pots, and it has had an effect. Because we are electric we cannot do reduction and so the typical ash glaze is not an option.  Here I used Water Fall Brown, and then an edge of Egg Shell and then while still wet i applied a very thick amount of Ash on a rough third of the plate and on the top of the Jug. The effect?  Well it significantly distorted the look of the glaze making blues and blacks come through. To my eye is looks a bit more like Temmoku than anything else.







The plates are new and are 10.5" across, the jug has been patiently waiting to be fired.  Here it is at last...

No comments:

Post a Comment